Monday, April 4, 2011

Pokemon Black Review/Thoughts

After playing my way through most of Pokemon Black I thought I'd write about my impressions and opinions of the game. first I am a player of the original first generation and have put countless hours into these versions and this will always be the best series in my opinion. I played the first generation and the second generation as they came out then didn't play any again until about a year and half ago when I played emerald for the first time.
Let's start with the new Pokemon in Black and White to me this is the biggest disappointment of the game to fans of the original 151. It seems like they half-assed alot of these new Pokemon and can't bring myself to like alot of them. when I first got my starter Pokemon I was appalled at my choices but as the game went on I grew to accept and like my starter and the other starters. however alot of these new Pokemon seemed based on real life things and are horrible it's like the creators sat around the office and made Pokemon out of what they could find laying around (a candle, trash, fungus). the original 151 were all unique ideas and not based on inanimate objects. creating Pokemon on random objects is what we used to do in the third grade when we created our own. with over 600 Pokemon now it just seems like their running out of new ideas and creatures to use. if they can only come up with 50-75 good Pokemon then just add them don't force a ton bad creatures on us. other then the actual Pokemon in the game Black/White is as good as it can be.
While I know they will probably never be able to create the feelings and experience of the first generation this comes pretty close. The graphics are excellent and the use of the zoom out camera during game play really adds another deminseon to the game and feeling of the Pokemon world. one issue I do have with the graphics is during Pokemon battles your still looking at the back of your Pokemon and their still pixelated it seems they would improve the image of the Pokemon in battle by now while each generation does improve it they still use the same view as the first generation. however in battle attacks can be amazing when using high powered attacks the camera changes to focus on the opposing Pokemon center screen and shows really cool graphics.
The game play and objective are the same as any previous generation so any looking for new goals or new game play style will be disappointed however this doesn't bother me at all its a tried and true formula that works and I like. one difference is the 2 parts to the elite four. you play through the game just like any other then after you beat the elite 4 you unlock 3 new cities and train and level up your Pokemon then go through the elite 4 again this time they have Pokemon lv. 70 plus. also the ability to reuse TMs is a nice addition once you obtain a TM you can use it over and over again just like an HM. Black/White also provide more play through time then the first and second generation while I averages about 22-24 hrs to play through the first generation Black took me about 36 to get through the elite 4 the first time. however this is taking your time exploring every area possible. you can blow through the game if want in probably 12 hrs or so.
If you can get over the Pokemon Black/White provide an experience close to that of Red/Blue if you played Red/Blue and are looking to get back into the series I would Highly recommend Black/White.

Pokemon- 6/10
Graphics- 8/10
Game play- 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment